As promised, I am sharing my Cod recipe with you today! A lot of my friends tell me that cooking Cod doesn’t work for them. They either don’t like it or they don’t know how to work with it. So, I will be sharing one of the major key points to cook Cod. Hopefully this will help make it easier for the next time you’re craving a flavorful filet of fish.
The key to cooking fish is knowing your fish. For instance if you’re cooking Trout, you’re more likely to smell and have a “muddy tasting” fish. Trouts get their muddy taste from a chemical compound called “geosmin”. This compound is found in soil, giving some vegetables and fish the “earthy” taste. Best way to get rid of the muddy taste is by soaking your fish in either vinegar or whole milk. The compound “geosmin” breaks done when it’s exposed to acid. Now, not all fish smell fishy or muddy, but if they do, this rule can be applied to other types of fish like Cod as well.
I usually soak my Cod in lemon juice for approximately 5-10 minutes before prepping it to bake.
Now, lets get to the recipe!
Spicy Baked Cod
Yield Amount: 4 servings Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
2 Large Filet of Cod
1 Stick of Butter (thinly sliced)
1 Poblano Pepper (Sliced)
2 Roma tomatoes (diced)
4 cloves Garlic (minced)
1 Habanero pepper (blended in a grinder)
2 Lemons to soak the Cod (while preheating the oven)
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
- Place two filet in aluminum foil individually. You’re essentially creating little packets out of the aluminum foil
- Brush the habanero paste lightly over the cod, you don’t want to over do it because it’ll be too spicy.
- Once the Cod is placed inside the foil packet, season both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Sprinkle the diced garlic over both filet generously.
- Place slices of Poblano pepper and Roma tomatoes over the filet in both packets
- Take the slices of the butter and place them all over the filet (I used three slices per filet)
- Now, tightly conceal the aluminum packet and place them on a baking sheet
- Bake for 25 minutes
- Take the packets out of the oven and open them cautiously to let the steam out
- Serve with your choice of side. I used quinoa.
- Take a picture, tag @Pizza_and_Perrier, enjoy!
Have a great weekend!